An award-winning & versatile composer who is happy to accept commissions from all choirs and individuals.
His appealing melodies, harmony & rhythmic vitality are accessible & popular with conductors, singers & listeners.
England - South West
Fees guide (£):
Willing to write:
Accepts commissions fro all choirs and individuals
Please don't hesitate to contact me and I'll always do my best to help.
Ian is a virsatile, accomplished and an award-winning composer who originally comes from Merseyside, but is now living and working in Gloucestershire, plus he teaches composition for the Johann Heinrich Pestlozzi University (US).
Ian accepts commissions for sacred and secular choral repertoire which is suitable for church/cathedral choirs, amateur and professional choirs, such as choral societies, youth choirs, chamber choirs and community choirs. Ian also composes music for organ, piano, flute, voice and chamber orchestra. Many of Ian's vocal and instrumental compositions are also used as set pieces for grades and diplomas on various examination boards.
In addition to Ian’s choral music being freequently being performed by choirs large and small, professional and amateur both in the UK & the US, many of his christmas carols have been commissioned for performances given in Christmas concerrts and srvices by the RLPO orchestra and chorus, Bangor Cathedral, Brecon Cathedral, Isle of Man Cathedral and St Asaph Cathedral, as well as performances given by the Royal Northern Sinfonia and the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra & chorus.
Many of Ian’s choral works are published by: Animus Publications, ABRSM Publishing, Boosey & Hawkes, Lorenz Inc. (US), Parish Publications, St. James Music Publishing (US), Tim Knight Music and Trinity Exams Publishing.The titles that are published by Parish Publications and these include: Sacred Anthems/Motets, Liturgical Music, Christmas Music, plus music for organ, piano & secular vocal music. The Parish Publications titles can be ordered and purchased through either FORSYTH MUSIC SHOP
or RSCM MUSIC DIRECT, both of whom distribute non-exclusively in the UK for Parish Publications.
Should you wish to hear a selection of Ian's compositions, please CLICK HERE or visit the ‘works' page on my website - www.ianhigginson.co.uk
Some quotations about Ian’s music from some notable composers and conductors are listed below:
- “Well worth a look …. expertly crafted, imaginative, practical and within the scope of most choirs and organists.”
- “Refreshingly approachable style, …rhythmic vitality & memorable melodic writing; … one of the few of his generation still unafraid of writing a good tune!”
(Organist – City of Liverpool, Organist – Liverpool Cathedral, Chorusmaster – Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Society, Professor, Fellow & Organist – John Moores University)
- “I have been performing Ian Higginson’s wonderful Christmas arrangements for a few years now, and I find them universally popular with choirs, orchestral players and audiences alike.”
(Organist & Director of Music at Bristol Cathedral)
- “Really well-crafted and satisfying to play and enjoy – a very worthwhile addition to an organist’s collection.”
- “For choir directors, Ian Higginson’s choral music includes the best of all possible elements – melodies that are gracious and deliciously singable, musical craftsmanship and imagination that directors, singers and audiences alike will carry with them from any performance, and an understanding of what choirs are capable of. They are not to be missed!”
The late Mark Schweizer
(Former Conductor & Founder/Director of St James’ Music Press, U.S).